Translate

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

In the beginning...

I think I, like most people, discovered Blythe on the internet. To those of you knew about Blythe in the 1970s when she originally came out, my hat is off to you. In my particular case I first met Blythe here... http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTblythe.html and after that there was no going back. I'm not even entirely sure what it is about this particular doll that grabs me.

She is an oddity, that much is certain, but there's just something about her. Since I first encountered her I've come to know quite a few Blythe lovers out there, and I think perhaps the attraction one has to this doll actually has very little to do with the doll itself, and more to do with what we project unto her. Through her, people express themselves in so many creative ways. She can be goth, she can be mod, she can be a girl, she can be a woman. She can be just about anything you can imagine. Heck, many have even shown that she can be a he if the need arises.

But for me personally? Hmmmm.... I dunno. There's just something about her that can't be named. And I think if I did I would be limiting the experience somehow. So for myself I'll just be satisfied with the fact that simply looking at my little collection of Blythes makes me happy.

And really that's all you need to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment