Translate

Friday, December 13, 2013

Here We Come A-Caroling...

...or a-wassailing if you prefer. I thought it would be fun to share a little coat pattern for the holidays. I think I've featured this coat here before, most recently on my Mother-in-law's doll Noni. But here it is again.


This little number would be perfect for the season if you've got a girl who wants to go caroling... well, maybe not in the hounds tooth I've made it out of here, but perhaps in a nice fawn or wine color.


Can't you just see your girl singing from door to door, begging for wassail... wait, does anybody drink that anymore? Hmmm... I expect that's why they changed the name of the song. But anyway here's the pattern.


Bear with me now, I'm a knitter not a seamstress but I'll explain the way I did it the best I can. Keep in mind this pattern is not lined so if you want a lined coat you'll have to cut out extra pieces as needed, also I make very small seams (1/8 to 1/4 inch) so keep that in mind and cut the pieces larger if you need to. If the picture above is not of a decent size you can also find the pdf HERE (just remember where it says 'left back' on the body it's supposed to say left front - I corrected it in the picture I've posted above) Here we go...

Capelet Coat for Blythe


Cut out body and sleeves.

Position sleeves correctly (the F and B indicate front and back and should be positioned so they match with the front and back of the body).

Sew sleeves onto body, right sides of fabric together.

Sew sleeve cuffs

Sew sleeve tops (indicated by stars). Please keep in mind that the tops of the sleeves will make up part of the neckline.

Cut 2 of front capelet

Cut 1 of back capelet

Sew front capelet to back capelet along the top, with right sides of fabric together (indicated by open circles).

Sew all sides (except at the neck) on both the capelet and the coat (indicated by solid dots).

Cut out collar

Fold collar in half the long way, right sides together, and sew the short sides together. Snip corners and turn right side out.

Sew capelet to coat, wrong side of capelet to right side of coat, leaving about 1/2 inch of the coat out past the collar on both sides.

Now sew the collar to the capelet and coat matching the sides of the collar to the sides of the capelet (not the coat)

Fold down the raw edge of the collar and sew the remaining raw edge of the coat neck under (lift the capelet up and sew under all of it to do this). You're basically just going along the same seam again with the raw collar edge folded down.

And that's pretty much it. I hope you all enjoy it. I know I usually say go ahead and do whatever you want with the pattern but because this one is based (albeit very very loosely, and with a LOT of modification) on a coat that my mother made me as a child, this one's going to have to be for personal use only. Have fun!

Oh, if you like the hat and want to make that too, it's not one of mine, it's on Ravelry HERE. This is a brilliant little pattern. IIRC I knit it using two strands of Patons worsted wool yarn in black, on size 8 needles so I could match the needed gauge.

Oh and one more thing... a recipe for Wassail. Given to me by a friend long ago.

 Wassail

1/2 gallon apple cider
1 can pinapple juice from concentrate
1 can orange juice from concentrate
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tbs whole cloves
1 sliced orange
 add rum to taste

Put in a large pot and allow to simmer, serve warm.

Happy Holidays!


5 comments:

  1. Hi Monica, I haven't sewn in ages and wanted to know if your pattern was the correct scale so I can just cut it out? I did download the other one you mentioned and will note the corrections. Thanks for any advice you have time to share. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the pattern is to scale, as long as the 4 inch bar along the bottom prints out to about 4 inches you should be good. I do sew very tiny seams for doll clothes so if you find the pattern isn't working for you you can always print it out a bit larger and see if that works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Monica, quite dont get by the sleeves make up part of the neck line, is the sleeves "neck" sew direct matching the body part "neck"?? Apologize for my stupidity coz english is my native language. Love ur work, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I guess that is a bit confusing. No the "neck" at the top of the sleeves is not sewn to the body "neck", you only sew the underarm or U shaped parts of the body and the sleeves together. When that is done you sew the top of the sleeves closed (the part with the stars). Then the part of the sleeve that says "neck" automatically becomes part of the neck at the top of the body, filling in the top of the U. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so so much for sharing this adorable sewing pattern. I'm currently oorking on it. I'll be sure to send pics along with hat which I've just downloaded pnce completed. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete